Frank C.S. Liu 劉正山 (2006 Ph.D, in Political
University of Kansas) is associate professor in the
Institute in Political Science at the
National Sun Yat-Sen University (NSYSU, 國立中山大學), Kaohsiung,
Taiwan. His research and teaching interests include comparative
politics, voting behavior, public opinion, political psychology,
political communication, and research methods. His recent focus
is on theories about partisanship and national identification.
Refereed Journal Articles / Proceedings
- 2016. accepted (with Yi-Tan Lee). "Generation matters: Taiwan’s perceptions of Mainland China and attitudes towards cross-Strait trade talks." Journal of Contemporary China.
- 2016 forthcoming. (with Ai-Jhen Tsai 蔡艾真) (in Chinese) “Myth of Independent Voters and the Prediction of Closet Partisans’ Party Identification in Taiwan ”(中間選民的迷思與隱性之政黨傾向初探) Taiwan Political Science Review (臺灣政治學刊) [pdf]
2016. "Declining news media viewership and the survival of political disagreement." International Journal of Public Opinion Research
. http://doi.org/10.1093/ijpor/edw004 [pdf
- 2015. (with Yu-Sung Su 蘇毓淞) “Adjusting Survey Response Distributions Using Multiple Imputation: A Simulation with External Validation” (應用多重插補法評估選民政黨傾向的可行性： 以電話調查中不表態中間選民為例), Survey Research (調查研究-方法與應用). [pdf]
- 2014. (in Chinese). "Patterns of the Political Discussion in Kaohsiung Voters' Daily Life" (高雄民眾政治談論溝通網絡的樣貌). Policy and Personnel Management (政策與人力管理), 5(1), 49-80. [pdf]
- 2014. "Using multiple imputation for vote choice data: A comparison across multiple imputation tools." Open Journal of Political Science, 04(02), 39–46. doi:10.4236/ojps.2014.42006 [pdf]
2014. (with Lee, Francis L. F). "The impact of political party support on interpersonal political discussion: Survey evidence from two Chinese societies." Asian Journal of Communication,
24(2), 109–127. doi:10.1080/01292986.2013.827731. [pdf
2013. (with Lee, Francis L.F.). "Country, national, and pan-national identification in Taiwan and Hong Kong: Standing together as Chinese?" Asian Survey
. 53(6): 1112-1134 [pdf
2012. (in Chinese with Chu, S.-H. 朱淑華) "Pure independents’reconsidered:
Using the qualitative approach to explore why independent leaners
hide their partisan orientation" (不中間的中間選民：以質性方法初探有政黨傾向選民隱藏政黨傾向的原因).
Shoochow Journal of Political Science
- 2012. "When Taiwan identifiers embrace ROC: The complexity
of state identification in Taiwan." Issues & Studies,
48(2), 1-34. [pdf]
- 2011. "Validation and agent-based modeling: A practice of
contrasting simulation results with empirical data." New
Mathematics and Natural Computation. 7 (3): 515-541. [pdf]
- 2011. (with Simon Lin 林誠謙、Jing-ya You 尤靖雅、Yu-Ting Chen 陳佑定、Jing-Lung
Sun 孫敬倫)“From Internal Validation to Sensitivity Test: How Grid
Computing Facilitates the Construction of an Agent-Based Simulation
in Social Sciences ". Proceedings of Science (DOA) [pdf]
- 2011. (in Chinese) “News Media and Communication Networks: How
a Political Scientist Comprehends the Concept of Context” (媒體與社群：一個政治傳播學者眼中的脈絡).
Journal of Communication Research and Practice (傳播研究與實踐).
1(2): 75-82. [pdf]
- 2011. (with Albert Chiu) “Network Heterogeneity, Partisan Defection,
and Voter Turnout: Examine Theory with Empirical Data from Taiwan.”International
Journal of Business and Social Science. 2(19):258-272. [pdf]
- 2011. "Perceived Partisan Heterogeneity in Communication
Networks and Changes in Party Choice in a National Election: Evidence
from Taiwan." International Political Science Review.
- 2010. "Polarized News Media and the Polarization of the Electorate."
International Journal of Artificial Life Research, 1(1):35-50.
- 2010. "Reconstruct Partisan Support Distribution with Multiply
Imputed Survey Dada: A Case Study of Taiwan's 2008 Presidential
Election.”Survey Research (調查研究-方法與應用), 24: 135-162. [pdf]
- 2009. "Modeling political individuals using the agent-based
approach: A preliminary case study on political experts and their
limited influence within communication networks'' Journal of
Computers（電腦學刊）, 19(4): 8-19. [pdf]
- 2009.“Partisan Orientation and Selective Exposure During Taiwan's
2008 Presidential Election Campaign (2008年總統大選競選期間政黨支持者選擇性接觸媒體傾向的分析)”
Electoral Studies (選舉研究), 16(2):51-70. [pdf]
- 2009. "The volatility of national identification: A mix-method
pilot study of Taiwanese young adults." Asian Social Science,
5(7): 29-40. [pdf]
- 2009. (in Chinese) "The Challenges of Practicing Deliberative
Democracy in Taiwan and a Possible Solution." (當前審議式民主的困境及可能的出路). The Chinese Public Administration Review（中國行政評論）,17(2):109-132.
- 2008. (in Chinese) "The methodological base of applying agent-based
modeling to political science research (代理人基模擬途徑的政治學方法論根基)."
Political Science Review （政治科學論叢）, 36 (June): 149-186.
- 2007. "Constrained opinion leader influence in an electoral
campaign season: Revisiting the two-step flow theory with multi-agent
simulation." Advances in Complex Systems, 10(2): 233-250.
- 2006. "Communication Networks and the Changes in Electoral Choices:
A Study of Taiwan's 2002 Mayoral Elections." Journal of East
Asian Studies, 6(1): 139-58. [pdf]
- 2005. "E-democracy: A High-tech Illusion or a Solution?" Journal
of Cyber Culture and Information Society (資訊社會研究), 9 (July):
Liu, F. C.-S. (2016). Installation of public opinion sensors: How a community-based web survey platform facilitates the collection of qualitative opinion data. Presented at the International Symposium on Grids and Clouds (ISGC 2016), Taipei. [html
Liu, F. C. S., Chang, R. Y. P., & Tan, A. C. (2015). The spiral of deinstitutionalization: An observation about the field opinion within Kuomintang against public opinion during the 2016 presidential election campaign. Presented at the the Workshop on Institutionalization and Deinstitutionalization of Party and Political Organizations, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan.
Liu, F. C.-S. (2015). How much should we worry about the polarization effect of polarized news media? Assessment with agent-based simulation. Presented at the Annual Meeting of Computing in Economics and Finance (CEF2015), Taipei. [slides ppt
- 劉正山, & 蔡艾真. (2014). 隱性選民之政黨意識與其政黨傾向偵測 (Partisan Motivated Reasoning and the Prediction of Closet Partisans' Party Identification). Presented at the Taiwan Political Science Association 2014 Annual Meeting, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan. [slides ppt]
- Liu, F. C.-S., & Li, Y. (2014). Brothers or friends?: Taiwanese voters’ perception about the relationship between the two sides of the taiwan strait. Presented at the Taiwan Political Science Association 2014 Annual Meeting, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan. [slides ppt]
- Liu, F. C.-S. (2014). Are we family? Inspecting the influence of Taiwanese people’s country, nation, culture, and civil identification on the perception of relationship with “China.” Presented at the West Political Sceicne Association Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, USA. [slides ppt]
- Liu, F. C.-S., & Su, Y.-S. (2013). Adjust Survey Response Distributions
Using Multiple Imputation: A Simulation with External Validation.
Presented at the AAPOR 2013 Annual Conference, Boston, MA, USA. [slides
- Liu, F. C.-S. (2013). Party Identification, Social Networks, and
News Media: What Agent-Based Simulation Tells Us about the Dynamics
of State Identification and the Formation of Social Cleavage. Presented
at the International Symposium on Grids and Clouds (ISGC) 2013 Annual
Conference, Academic Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan. [slides pdf]
- Liu, F. C.-S. (2012). The decline of the politically informed electorate
and the survival of political disagreement within communication networks.
Presented at the 4th World Congress on Social Simulation, National
Cheng-Chi University. [pdf]
- Liu, F. C.-S. (2012). Reconstructing the distribution of voter
coice using multiple imputation: A study of TAiwan's 2012 presidential
election (以多重插補法重建選民投票偏好的分佈：以2012年總統大選面訪案資料為例. Presented at the 2012
Survey Research Methodology Conference, Academic Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Liu, F. C.-S., & Lee, F. L. F. (2012). How do you choose between
Taiwan and China? An analysis of overlapping state identity and national
identity. Presented at the Midwest Political Science Association Annual
Meeting, Chicago, USA.
- Liu, F. C.-S., & Lee, R. C. (2012). Artificial intelligence
and the adjustment of survey sample bias: a preliminary application
to telephone and web survey. Presented at the Midwest Political Science
Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA.
- Liu, F. C.-S., & Hung, Y.-T. (2012). Profiles and voting patterns
of Taiwan “Intelligent Voters”: An observation using web-panel data.
Presented at the International Workshop on E-Society Research, National
Sun Yet-San University, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan.
- Wang, Y.-D., Liaw, T.-M., Liu, F. C.-S., Lin, C.-Y., & Lin,
S. C. (2012). Memory effect on the voter model as non-equilibrium
statistical systems. Presented at the International Symposium on Grids
& Clouds 2012, Academic Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- 2011 (with Albert S. Y. Chiu and Alexander C. Tan) "The Patterns
of Partisan Defection in the 2011 Mayoral Election." Paper presented
at the TEDS 2011 international Conference, Dec. 6-7, Taipei,Taiwan
- 2011. (with Paul Johnson)“News Media Environment, Selective Perception,
and the Survival of Preference Diversity within Communication Networks.”Journal
of Information Technology & Politics 2011, May 16-17, University
of Washington, Seattle, WA [pdf]
- 2011. (with Simon Lin 林誠謙、Jing-Ya You 尤靖雅、Yu-Ting Chen 陳佑定、Jing-Lung
Sun 孫敬倫) "From Internal Validation to Sensitivity Test: How Grid
Computing Facilitates the Construction of an Agent-Based Simulation
in Social Sciences”. Paper presented at the International Symposium
on Grids and Clouds (ISGC 2011) in conjunction with the Open Grid
Forum (OGF 31), March 21-25, 2011 at Academia Sinica in Taipei, Taiwan.
[Proceedings of Science /DOAJ] [pdf]
Other Publications (In Chinese)
- 2016. Book review (In Chinese): Norris, P. (2015). Why Elections Fail. New York: Cambridge University Press. Taiwan Democracy Quarterly Book Review（台灣民主季刊）, 13 (1): 189-195. [pdf]
- 2015. (with 馮浩峻、郭明賢)。社群網路與投票動員：透過網路調查平台進行的實驗觀察（頁334–351). 電子商務與網路社會新境界2016. 台北：前程文化. [pdf]
- 2013. (with 馮浩峻、郭明賢）「網路世代選民的政治參與及動員策略」in 「電子商務新境界」（台北：前程文化）pp. 300-315 [pdf]
- 2013. （with 莊文忠）「項目無反應資料的多重插補分析」in 「台灣選舉與民主化調查（TEDS）方法論之回顧與前瞻」（台北：五南）pp. 275-306. [pdf]
- 2013. （with 洪永泰）「2012年總統大選期間年輕網路使用者的投票行為觀察」in「網路民主：台灣iVoter投票諮詢網站建置紀實」（台北：五南）pp. 61-72. [pdf]
- 2012. Let's talk about media influence that you may not know. (你可能不知道的媒體影響).
Science Monthly (科學月刊）, 480: 12-18. [pdf]
- 2011. Studying across Disciplines: Why and How (同時做個學門內部的專才與跨學門的通才：談談社會科學的跨界).
- 2010. Book review (In Chinese): Whiter Taiwan and Mainland China: National Identity,
the State, and Intellectuals〔消融台灣與中國的疆界：族群認同、國家與知識份子〕by Zhidong Hao〔郝志東〕（Hong
Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2010, Hardbook, 232 pp., ISBN 9789622091009）.[pdf]
- 2009. Book review (In Chinese): Shoemaker, Pamela J.; Tankard, James W. &
Lasorsa, Dominic L.(2004). How to Build Social Science Theories. Thousand
Oaks, Calif: Sage. Political Science Quarterly Book Review (政治科學季評),
- 2007. Book review (In Chinese): Mutz, D. C. (2006). Hearing the Other Side:
Deliberative Versus Participatory Democracy. New York: Cambridge University
Press. Political Science Quarterly Book Review (政治科學季評), 13. [pdf]